The opportunity is that college students love traveling and exploring, its the time in our lives where we have the freedom and time to travel but have no money what so ever to afford any of it. So we spend most of our college life in a small college town going home once a month maybe but never venturing any further. If trips were more affordable or even had options to work off the price of the trip, many more students would have the opportunity to travel and see the world.
I know that if students were to try this once they would love it because having the freedom to travel with friends and explore new places and cities are memories that stick forever. There are many different options of travel today but none are college-budget friendly. No other service out there in my opinion meets this need. The window of opportunity will be open for as long as no one starts a company like this and starts providing students with trips they want and can afford.
Innovation.
The basic idea is to create trips in huge numbers for students. Students don't care about the business class flight or the 5 stare resort hotel as much so it is much easier to accommodate cheaper lodging and transportation. Like buying anything in bulk it always comes cheaper and I believe that if large enough groups were to be organized students could be able to get really cheap prices to go to amazing domestic places here in the US as well as to other countries internationally. This idea isn't really about money more about the experience about the traveling opportunity itself, but a way to make money would be commission. For x amount of trips after all expenses are paid for a would make a profit off of each trip.
The basic idea is to create trips in huge numbers for students. Students don't care about the business class flight or the 5 stare resort hotel as much so it is much easier to accommodate cheaper lodging and transportation. Like buying anything in bulk it always comes cheaper and I believe that if large enough groups were to be organized students could be able to get really cheap prices to go to amazing domestic places here in the US as well as to other countries internationally. This idea isn't really about money more about the experience about the traveling opportunity itself, but a way to make money would be commission. For x amount of trips after all expenses are paid for a would make a profit off of each trip.
Venture Concept.
As i've said before there isn't anything quite like this available. There are traveling agencies and different event groups in the city but there isn't anything that offers this to students here in Gainesville. Organizations like Trip provide students with hiking and diving expeditions which in my opinion are insanely over priced and don't appeal to students because of the fact that they are very structured and also allow staff and faculty to apply for them as well.
This idea is different because its not only hiking expeditions, there would be many different options for students like traveling to different cities choosing which excursions they want to go to and which ones they don't and most importantly not having to pay for the once they don't want to go on. Providing these options will mean that everyone will have a unique and different experience in these cities, some might visit the museum or the beach or maybe are there for the gastro tourism.
Business would be organized very simply, students can vote on where they would like to go next and then from those votes, events would be planed, lodging and transportation arranged and excursions organized for those who want them. There would have to be a lot of planing and checking with venues about housing and transpiration but I believe that after a few trips that with a good team it could be done very effectively.
As i've said before there isn't anything quite like this available. There are traveling agencies and different event groups in the city but there isn't anything that offers this to students here in Gainesville. Organizations like Trip provide students with hiking and diving expeditions which in my opinion are insanely over priced and don't appeal to students because of the fact that they are very structured and also allow staff and faculty to apply for them as well.
This idea is different because its not only hiking expeditions, there would be many different options for students like traveling to different cities choosing which excursions they want to go to and which ones they don't and most importantly not having to pay for the once they don't want to go on. Providing these options will mean that everyone will have a unique and different experience in these cities, some might visit the museum or the beach or maybe are there for the gastro tourism.
Business would be organized very simply, students can vote on where they would like to go next and then from those votes, events would be planed, lodging and transportation arranged and excursions organized for those who want them. There would have to be a lot of planing and checking with venues about housing and transpiration but I believe that after a few trips that with a good team it could be done very effectively.
The three minor elements
The most important resource would be I believe the student body, of UF but also other participating universities. Students are what would make this work, if they like it they will invite friends and continue to come but if they don't then it just wont happen. The next venture would be to figure out working opportunities for students who want to travel like this. Many really can not afford even the cheap prices, so finding small jobs that they could do for a week or two to pay off the trip would be a really cool way to get this going as well but this would have to be much further down the road.
In five years it would be really cool to have an organization established with many trips offered all year around to students from all different universities across the world. It would be amazing to give students the opportunity to see the world.
The most important resource would be I believe the student body, of UF but also other participating universities. Students are what would make this work, if they like it they will invite friends and continue to come but if they don't then it just wont happen. The next venture would be to figure out working opportunities for students who want to travel like this. Many really can not afford even the cheap prices, so finding small jobs that they could do for a week or two to pay off the trip would be a really cool way to get this going as well but this would have to be much further down the road.
In five years it would be really cool to have an organization established with many trips offered all year around to students from all different universities across the world. It would be amazing to give students the opportunity to see the world.
The Feedback that I received on this idea was very positive, although most people were not very sure about how it would all work out, they were very enthusiastic about the idea and would love to see it happen.
In order to make the idea more clear I will have to go more in detail about the actual planing stages and how everything will be organized. But this would all have to be done much deeper in a business plan.

I really enjoyed reading about your business idea. It is true, that as a college student you really don't have the opportunity to travel outside of the town you live in, leaving you with little memories you'll really hold on to compared to if you had the chance to travel. By having an affordable program for students to be part of, it could make a lot of difference and I see a lot of people wanting to participate in this. It's not an opportunity many students have the chance to take, if at all. I didn't submit my assigment so I do not have a link to share with you.
ReplyDeleteHi Adna. I definitely like your venture idea and think that it's unique because you're right, a lot of students can't afford to travel while they're in college. I think if you can make something like this work it would be used by a lot of students. My question is how you would get businesses such as hotels, taxi companies, etc. to provide cheap rates to your company? I guess you could work out a bulk rate of some sort. I wish you luck should you try to pursue this venture! I unfortunately did not get to complete this assignment so I don't have a blog post to share.
ReplyDeleteHello Adna,
ReplyDeleteI think you have a great idea. I personally love to travel, but can't travel as often as I would like due to financial reasons. It is true, that if you buy in bulk, most of the time it will be at a bulk price, or discounted price. With this being said, the hard part is getting these companies on-board.
Please check out my post at: http://prosper95.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html
Hi I think that your idea is awesome. I think that traveling around the world is something that sparks the hearts and minds of people. I think that when people travel they become so creative. They see things differently and expand their horizons. I think that getting a group of college kids together to travel is an awesome idea. The possibilities for fun would be endless.
ReplyDeleteHey Adna,
ReplyDeleteI agree that Trip can be pricey, but have you heard of OAR? These guys are essentially Trip minus the expensive fees. Think of OAR (UF based by the way) as a more laid back version of Trip. Anyways, I'm surprised that such a venture hasn't really taken off, especially when one considers that college is the best time to travel the world. I'd like to see this take off. Maybe you'll be the one to put it on the map. Check my blog out at http://blazingllamas.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-20.html
Hi Adna,
ReplyDeleteFirst off, what an excellent post! I truly find your concept interesting and your post enjoyable. I'm pretty certain I've peer reviewed your posts in the past. Excellent post structure and I'm in love with the aesthetic of the blog! When it comes to your concept, I find myself so intrigued by it, now more than ever since I'm actually 1 month away from traveling to Italy and Spain. Great job and good luck!
Please feel free to check out my Venture Concept Number 2 at the following link:
http://efp13.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html
Hello Adna,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading through your post because I think that you have a very interesting idea for your venture concept. Everyone likes to travel but as you said, it is tough for college students. It would be an amazing experience for any of us to get to travel all over the world at a discount. If you are able to have low prices and cool trips for college students, there will be no stopping you! If you want to check out my post, here it is:
http://christheentrepreneur.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html