Thursday, January 28, 2016

Customer Interviews No. 1

In the exercise I learned how to think ahead of possible questions. Having the camera recording made it much easier to think of the next question because I didn't have to listen and try write down notes but could think of the next question as they answered my previous. After getting the first interview out of the way the rest of the interviews were much easier and I already had an idea of what I would be asking the people I was talking to. Some of the people I talked to were strangers in the Ritz Food Court and the others were people from my neighborhood who I talked on my way back home and were nice enough to let me record them. I was nervous about going up to people and asking them about things but once I got started it was much easier.

The opportunity I identified was that many students wanted to travel but when they did they usually did it in small groups and it cost them too much money. My idea is a traveling agency for sudents so most of my questions pertained to students and their recent travels.
My main questions were where they went, how expensive it was and if it was too much and what they liked about the organization of the trip and what they didn't like. From there I altered the questions however the interview was going and sometimes I asked more sometimes they told me more on their own.

  • Tell me about the last time you traveled somewhere with a group of friends...
  • Do you think you could have spent less on that trip, tell me why. 
  • Was it organized well? 
  • What did you like about it? 
  • What did you not like about it?

While doing these interviews I learned that students usually went on small group trips because they wanted to be with their friends but most times that proved very costly and somewhat disorganized. A way to fix this would be to make the trips larger and even thought students don't like this it would cut down the costs of the trip over all. Then when in large groups, friend groups can be broken down and they can still have that small trip feel. Also organization for trips is key so having someone go before hand make sure everything is in order and planed is very important, as an organizaion you have to be prepared for every possible situation. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Adna! I really liked the opportunity that you identified. I also find traveling in small groups to be more expense than I would like and I dislike large groups because than everyone has an opinion and we can never seem to visit all the places we want. I think you asked great questions and look forward to seeing how your idea develops throughout these projects. Here’s a link to check out how my first round of interviews went: http://cxgoss.blogspot.com/2016/01/customer-interviews-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well considering that my 1st customer interview didn't go as planned (my link to explain why: http://stefanent3003.blogspot.com/2016/01/customer-interviews-no-1.html) I feel like you did a very good job with this assignment. You found unmet opportunities and the questions that you asked were very good and got people to think. Considering that this is a very difficult assignment, and hopefully it gets easier as the time goes by, you nailed it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adna, you did a great job on this assignment. I was really impressed by your organization and excellent usage of the camera when interviewing these people. Your presentation on traveling in small or large groups is something I have not really thought about before. Usually I always ended up traveling in smaller groups because I enjoy the feel of being close and in my opinion more in control of the trip. However, it was interesting to see other opinions on the matter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete